LOCATION: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Middle School Biology Teacher
We are currently seeking a certified Biology Teacher for a temporary, full-time position teaching middle school students in the Philadelphia, PA area. School is open to getting an emergency certification depending on candidate’s experience.
- Must have Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Must have PDE Teaching certification with an endorsement in Biology 7-12
- Must be comfortable with exposure to potentially dangerous chemicals, gasses and other solutions in laboratories and normal everyday risks in the classroom.
- In-depth knowledge of the subject(s) to be taught.
- Demonstrates knowledge of current principles and methodologies of effective pedagogy, including the latest scientific research techniques, technological instrumentation, and multi-media research tools used in the subject area.
- Ability to deliver articulate oral presentations and written reports and effectively interact with pupils, colleagues, administrators, and classified employees.
- Teaches skills knowledge and scientific attitudes through courses in general science, earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, or oceanography (or other as assigned).
- Instructs pupils in course content matter and adhere to policies and procedures of the school district.
- Plans a student-centered science program based on the inquiry approach to active learning, lively, interactive discussions, and organized laboratory investigations for optimum learning to include fifty percent laboratory experience for students.
- Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and technological tools and applications appropriate to the course content.
- Provides individual, cooperative, or small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the individual needs and learning styles of pupils and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
- Instructs pupils in proper use, care, and safe handling of chemicals, science and technology equipment, and plant and animal life.
- Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, and tools. Reports and requests repairs to equipment as required.
- Establishes and maintains high standards of pupil behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions, laboratory sessions, and field trips.
- Provides a variety of assessment opportunities for students to demonstrate deep understanding/mastery of the course work.
- Selects and requests science books, instructional aids, equipment, chemicals, and supplies, and maintains inventory records as required.
- Maintains professional competence through professional development opportunities provided by the district and/or self-selected professional growth activities.
- Identifies pupils’ diverse needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping students maximize their individual learning potential.
- Participates in curriculum development and other programs, and in professional organizations.
- Assists students in selection and development of individual and group scientific research projects.
- Cooperates with school administration in providing science displays and programs for the school and community, and in sponsoring science activities.
- Maintains on-going communication with school guidance counselors and parents on pupil progress.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned workday.
- Participates in faculty committees and sponsorship of student activities.
- Participates cooperatively with the principal or designee in the evaluation process in conformance with district guidelines.